Canvas

Solar energy generates interest in Orange County

Solar energy is becoming more popular for Orange County residents, but tax incentives for "going solar" begin to expire next year. 

Solarize North Carolina is hosting an information session today that will involve a panel of experts who will answer important questions about going solar. Rob Pinder, an executive from Next Climate, Inc., will lead the panel. Next Climate is a non-profit organization that inspires people and communities to go solar. 

The session will include a discussion on what solar energy is and what its environmental and financial benefits are. Pinder said Solarize N.C. is working to make going solar easy and affordable for the people of Orange County.

“With programs like Solarize N.C., we are teaching people about climate change," Pinder said. "But more importantly, we are giving them a way to take action that is meaningful and has a big impact on green house (gas) emissions, but then also saves people money."

The organization offers group discounts to make going solar more affordable. As more people join the program the prices go down for everyone.

Jim Shamp, an Orange County local, said he attended the first Solarize N.C. information session a few weeks ago. He said he is registered with the program and hopes to put panels on his house soon.

“Solarize N.C.’s price is about the best you're going to find anywhere in the country,” he said.

Shamp said many residents of Orange County are signing on to go solar, but warned that state and federal tax incentives that help keep the price down will expire in 2015 and 2016, respectively.

“The time window is now and it might slam shut soon," he said.

Pinder said the typical home in the program can go completely solar for about $16,000, but federal and state tax incentives can decrease that cost by about 65 percent to around $7,000. 

Solar panels generate around $600 of electricity per home per year, Pinder said. This means homeowners can pay back the system in about 11 or 12 years, though Pinder said the solar panels have a 25-year warranty.

Mark Terry, who lives just south of Carrboro, installed solar panels for his home three months ago through Southern Energy Management after signing up through Solarize N.C. Terry said going solar has been a good learning experience for his two children.

“I think it is good for them to get exposed to the idea of alternative energy, conservation and things like that at their age,” he said.

Sally Robertson, who works for N.C. Warn, a non-profit solarize program in Durham, has solar panels on her Carrboro home as well.

“I’ve been adding up the numbers for all of the solarize programs around the state, and I’ve figured out that there’s been 213 people that have gone solar with these solarize programs and it added up to more than a megawatt of power,” Robertson said.

Shamp said that when he installs his system, he hopes to see payback after about 10 years.

"No matter what direction we go in generating electricity, all the other options are going to be more expensive, one way or another, then the solar option." 

Solarize N.C. is holding an information session open to the public at the Chapel Hill Public Library today from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.