Carolina Living

Four things to consider when starting a blog

I recently started my own blog, and I can say that there were many things I didn't consider in the beginning. I thought starting a personal blog would be easy to do, but there are some things you should consider beforehand. 

1. Who are you writing for?

This is super important. Even if your blog is personal, you should consider your audience if you want to gain a following. Are you writing for a more broad audience, such as college students, or are you focusing on a smaller crowd, such as vegan college students? 

2. How often will you post?

As a student, it is incredibly difficult to keep up with a personal blog because there is no one making sure that your posts hit their deadline. I recommend setting a reasonable goal for yourself. One post every two weeks is much more realistic than four posts a week, and you can always change your posting schedule!

3. What will you be writing about?

Say your writing for college students on a budget. Are you writing about how to stay healthy and eat right when you don't have any money, or are you more focused on cheap and easy crafts with supplies from the dollar store? 

That being said, your blog doesn't necessarily have to follow a specific theme. My blog is just my inner thoughts and, while this is perfectly acceptable, I would recommend stating what your blog's purpose is in your "about" section. This way, your viewers can get an understanding of what you're writing about. 

4. What domain name will you choose?

This may not seem that important in the beginning, but having the right domain name is essential if you want viewers to stay on your blog. You could opt for just your name, or you could choose something more fun. However, keep in mind that there is a difference between fun and questionable. "Simple[Your Name]" is quirky and relatable, while "xoxogossipsquirrel123456" is too long and hard to take seriously. If your domain name sounds like your AOL username from 2003, it's probably not the best.