Diversions

Interesing CD Releases for Oct. 13

Quirky week at the record store this Tuesday. I've got three things to talk about, two that I'm pretty excited about and one very unfortunate Christmas album that's really boiling my holiday goose. 

In terms of the impact of a new record by The Flaming Lips on indie rock fans, the only real comparison I can come up with for mainstream people would be U2. Cultural events don't come any larger in the indie music community than the times when these very experimental and very theatrical rockers come out with a new opus. Embryonic is the latest. We just got it in the mail today, and I'm listening to it now for the first time. First impression is that it's a pretty glitchy affair, reliant on distorted and reverbed guitar that pervade everywhere, undulating with hypnotic rhythms. I'm excited to keep exploring it. For a full review check out this Thursday's Diversions section.

Next up I've got something to scratch your itch for heavier stuff. Big, bold and monolithic, Baroness makes metal that, despite its volume, strides headlong with smooth, effortless momentum. The band's new album, simply dubbed Blue Record, has been sold to me as a pretty much pristine example of this, and as I listen to it now in a full, free stream on the band's MySpace, I'm having trouble not agreeing. Guitars tangle with vicious elegance, the vocals growl away with easily understandable angst, and rhythmic and melodic surprises abound, though they never come off as jarring. All in all it seems to be a strong, fairly accessible release that even non-diehard can get behind. Check back on the blog later this week, and I'll have a review for you guys.

Let's get this straight. There are only two reasons I'm talking about this next record. One, if you do a record release round-up, it's pretty much impossible to ignore an album by Bob Dylan. Two, all the proceeds go to charity, and I don't like ignoring good intentions. Christmas in the Heart is the first Christmas album by America's very best (and still very Jewish) trouador. I've listened to two songs from the album so far, an unfortunately well-arranged and strangely impassioned version of "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and a seemingly self-pardodying original entitled "The Christmas Blues." I'd really rather not talk about the experience. It was pretty painful. Suffice it to say, if any Bob Dylan comes across my eardrums this Christmas it'll be some of his most raucous electric material. God knows I need something to blast this Hallmark bulls--t out of my head.

There you have it. That's my take on this week's haul.