Diversions

Interesting CD Releases for Oct. 6

Lots of good stuff happening this week, so let's just dive right in.

First up, Durham's own nationally acclaimed songwriter turns his fourth full-length in five years into brooding trip through biblical references. On The Life of the World to Come John Darnielle and his Mountain Goats delve into 12 slices of religious angst that are both named after and interact with specific verses from the Bible. Over eloquently melodic chamber pop, Darnielle picks apart the conflict  between Christian ideals and human imperfection, creating a product that broils with issues and emotions that affect most everyone.

Indie rock stalwarts Built To Spill return this week with There Is No Enemy. I haven't heard a lot from this one, but from what I've read it's a sonically adventurous ride full of interesting guitar textures and invigorating arrangements. Built To Spill has always pushed the boundaries of so-called slacker rock into ambitious territory, so this really comes as no surprise. Suffice it to say, I'm probably going to be grabbing this one from CD Alley on my way home from the office.

Also coming out this week is the self-titled debut release from British group The xx. This group has been garnering serious buzz for a brand of soulful, delicate pop rock that takes on sex without shying away form the details while also portraying it in a romantic light. From what I've heard, it straddles the line between hedonism and idealism with impressive dexterity. Along with catchy melodies and rhythms that at their best are nothing short of pure pop perfection, it's hard not to get caught up in the music the band is making.

And though I won't write them up completely, there are two other records that should be worth checking out. The Raveonettes take Phil Spector's "wall of sound" back into the garage for another go round on In and Out of Control. If it's anywhere near as much fun as 2007's Lust Lust Lust, it'll be one heck of a good time. Also extremely talented shoegaze act A Place To Bury Strangers is back with Exploding Head. Alright that's all I've got. Get the headphones ready.