Diversions

One-Hit Wednesday: "Mambo No. 5"

Lou Bega - "Mambo No. 5"

Did we miss parts 1-4? Maybe they were about Sarah, Emily, Louise, Jessie and Courtney. I guess those names don’t sound as unique in  repetition, which comprises the majority of the song. I’m sure all of the 30 guys on this campus could come up with a catchy tune about all the ladies in their lives, but Lou Bega did it and became famous. You guys missed out.

On the upside, you won’t be remembered for taking  the easy way out by laying some new vocals over an old Perez Prado song. Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina, Sandra, Mary, Jessica, and maybe me, (all he needs is a little bit of you to make him your man). How does he even keep all these ladies straight?

I feel pretty bad for poor Tina. He just wants to see her for a little
bit, but oh Mary, he wants her all night long. Talk about a slap to the ego, not only is she one of too many hotties in line for Lou Bega, but he just wants to see you for a little bit before moving on to the rest of the bunch. Ouch.

It’s fun, up-beat and a good song to get your swing on, and hell, we were all partying like it was 1999 (because it was when this No. hit the radio). Entertainment Weekly commented that the “80s-style synthesizers will rule weddings for months to come.” They also gave the song a B-. By nature any song that rules the wedding circuit should stay in the cheesy department,

Thank god this one faded into oblivion.