Diversions

One-Hit Wednesday: "Macarena"

Editor's Note: In this new weekly feature of the Dive blog, ravenous pop-culture lover Rache Arnett tries to grasp why one-hit-wonders were one-hit-wonders.

Los Del Rio - "Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)"

Originally recorded in 1992, I knew we could count on some one to make the remix and completely ruin it, ie. The Bayside Boys, whose remix in 1996 extended its welcome at #1 for more than just 15 minutes of fame. BUT WHY?

Let’s face it the only line you remember is “Hey Macarena.” Those two words can’t explain why this dance number rocked the charts to such a horrifying extent. There were some not so cool dance moves you could break out at your sixth grade dance, but so what? I bet you don’t even remember the whole sequence anymore.

But most importantly, how could the video with girls in rocking 90’s gear, who have the same vocal talent as Paris Hilton, really rock the charts for so long? I was too young to even know these chicks were singing about cheating on their man for part of it and still I jammed to it, shows how much I knew. Apparently, they were trying to teach us not  to feel remorse for that kind of behavior (that’s just what happens, when you are so hot, oops.)

I feel bad for Los Del Rio who had some legitimate talent in Europe before the Bayside Boys mixed up this crowd pleaser. I think we all had a little bit too much punch, if you catch my drift.