Diversions

The Movie Trail for Oct. 6

Welcome to The Movie Trail where Dive rounds up the best hot new trailers for you every Tuesday.

First up on this week’s trailer roundup is the brand-new trailer for the "A Nightmare on Elm Street remake," the latest horror classic to be pillaged by Hollywood. The trailer’s pretty much your standard horror fare- dark sets, jump cuts, screaming etc. We get one good look at Freddy’s face and plenty of shots of his famous gloves, but to be honest, I just don’t see Jackie Earle Haley being able to match Robert Englund’s iconic performances as Freddy.  There is one genuinely horrifying part in the trailer: “From Producer Michael Bay.”  Sends shivers down my spine.

Click above to view more trailers.

A second trailer for Martin Scorsese’s latest directorial effort, "Shutter Island," also just came out and it looks like it should be a good one.  Set in a mental hospital for the criminally insane where a murderous patient has disappeared, it looks to be a tense thriller with maybe a few elements of the supernatural thrown in. The trailer seems to indicate Scorsese will play heavily on the isolation of the hospital and claustrophobia of its dark, labyrinth-esque corridors. The film features the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Kingsley, Elias Koteas, and Max von Sydow.

"The Book of Eli," the new film by the Hughes brothers, just released a more revealing trailer that looks like the movie could be a pretty promising post-apocalyptic action film.  I’m a fan of really any film where Denzel Washington gets to act like a badass and Gary Oldman is at his best when he’s unhinged and power-mad, so one could get pretty excited for this. The trailer has also gotten a few stylistic comparisons to Fallout 3, and it’s not a stretch, particularly with the washed-out colors.

There’s also "The Ministers," a vigilante film starring Harvey Keitel and John Leguizamo.  The trailer is nothing special, but it’s intriguing that Leguizamo is playing two roles. Despite the fact he doesn’t get all that much recognition, he generally turns in pretty strong performances (1997’s The Pest excluded). Supposedly it will be released mid-October but IMDB isn’t showing a specific release date.

Mostly, The Ministers trailer just gives off a real "Boondock Saints" vibe. Speaking of which, the trailer for "The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day" went up some while back.  The original never really waxed my canoe, but it garnered a real cult following.  For those of you who haven’t already seen it, scroll below to see Norman Reedus and Sean Patrick Flanery dole out some righteous retribution, Boston-style.