Diversions

Reel Deal: Pirates of the Caribbean 4

The last time we saw our beloved swashbucklers, Jack Sparrow was swigging rum on a dinghy heading for the Fountain of Youth, while Elizabeth and Will Turner (if you cared as much as I did and sat through 11 minutes of “At World’s End” credits to see the bonus scene) have been reunited after ten years of Will’s service to The Flying Dutchman. Ah, but the story continues… sort of.

The fourth installment of the Pirates series will include several changes from the previous three. You POTC lovers should brace yourselves for these details…

Click above to read more.

First, Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley have made it abundantly clear that they will not be returning as Will and Elizabeth Turner. Yes, the franchise is down one heartthrob and one gorgeous starlet, but, in the scheme of things, the Turners’ role in the fourth movie probably wouldn’t be conceivable anyway. It was shown in that last post-credit scene that the couple has a son to look after, and probably has no time to venture through the seas chasing human-octopuses and treasure chests.

But don’t get nervous – Johnny Depp will most definitely be returning as Captain Jack Sparrow. In fact, Disney paid Depp $55.5 million just to make sure of that. It was a hefty, but well-made investment, because Depp’s charismatic, semi-drunken Sparrow is undoubtedly the spirit of the Pirates series.

The film has been officially titled “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.” As hinted in the third film, the plot will consist of Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa searching for the Fountain of Youth. The story is based on Tim Power’s 1988 novel, “On Stranger Tides”, which Disney has bought the rights to. Thankfully, writers Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio have signed on to write the screenplay, hopefully with the intentions of delivering the same buccaneer humor and captivating grandeur that they brought to the previous three films.

Director Gore Verbinski will not be returning to take on the project, which, to me, is the biggest loss. Verbinski had created a world rich with pirate charm and visual marvels, which gave the franchise novel life. So, who will replace him?

It was officially announced this past Tuesday (11/17/09) that Rob Marshall (director of “Chicago” and the upcoming musical “Nine”) will direct the fourth POTC movie. And I think I speak for everyone when I say, “Huh?"

In a recent press Q&A for “Nine”, Marshall commented on how he got involved, ”Y’know, it’s something that I was offered and never in the world thought I would do but then I was like ‘why not?’… I’m doing Pirates of the Caribbean.” Yeah, but come on, you have to at least be a little doubtful about whether or not a sing-and-dance specialist can handle swordfights and supernatural creatures.

Filming is set to begin in April 2010, most likely for a theatrical release in the summer of 2011.

Well, those are all the details for now. Visit the Reel Deal next week for more movie buzz. Till then, check out the post-credit scene from “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”, as well as the most unofficial movie poster you’ve ever seen for On Stranger Tides.