Diversions

Movie Review: Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides

2.5 Stars

Johnny Depp reprises his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in Disney’s fourth installation of the Pirates franchise with “Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides.”

This time around, Sparrow is in search of the fountain of youth, drumming up old memories of Indiana Jones-like adventure. Nonetheless, despite being a new quest for the cast, the adventure, while highly exotic, is a bit too familiar.

The movie’s progression lacks a flow that was so powerful in the first film of the series, with an opening sequence that drags until the introduction of one of pirate folklore legend, Blackbeard.

Blackbeard’s journey to find the fountain is rooted between the sparring of the British and The Spaniard, as well as a grudge held by Captain Barbossa (Geoffrey Rush), the only other main character to make it into all four installments.

The plot avoids becoming entangled in the warring nations, instead digging far deeper into fantasy to bring about new mythical creatures, such as mermaids, to the picture. In addition, Penelope Cruz is introduced as one of Sparrow’s past lovers.

The mermaids are visually the best addition to the series, as they provide a new outlet for visual creativity in to be put on display.

Whereas the last two chapters suffered from getting lost in their own complexity, “On Stranger Tides” is more compact in it’s presentation.

If you are looking for familiarirty, you will enjoy Jack Sparrows antics back in classic form. On the other hand, if you’re craving a new adventure, you will be disappointed with what these stranger tides bring in.

Contact the Arts Editor at diversions@dailytarheel.com