Diversions

Dive Recs (6/6 to 6/13): Buy Local

Album from the Vaults:

The Beatles, Abbey Road: The album, released in 1969, may seem like a bit of a cop-out. How dare we at Dive take the easy way out and post something from one of the greatest bands in history? Well, to challenge that, how dare we not? Abbey Road is the last one they recorded, and probably the greatest of The Beatles’ albums. Instead of something random and obscure, why not something time-tested and amazing?

Movie from the Vaults:

“Planet of the Apes”: This 1968 film is, simply put, a classic. The film really takes a look at evolutionary constructs and how we, as humans, may not be as advanced as we think we are. I dare not spoil the ending or the message by previewing this film too much. Basically, give it a watch and get your mind blown.

Events:

Thursday 9

Jack The Radio

Local 506 | The local band, Jack The Radio, will be one of the features tonight. Mixing a uniquely eclectic tinge of multiple genres with a rootedness in rock, this band out of Raleigh looks to take the 506 crowd alongside The Design and Spiralfire.
9 p.m., $5 if purchased in advance

Sondre Lerche

Cat’s Cradle | This Norwegian indie rocker comes to Cat’s Thursday merely two days after the release of his latest record, a self-titled album that is sure to please fans and newcomers alike. Probably because of his blend of pop and rock, Lerche upholds a certain level of folksy sound in his music. Check him out along with Nightlands and Kishi Bashi.
8 p.m., $15

Friday, June 10

Mr. Diplomat

DSI Comedy Theater | This will be DSI legend Zach Ward’s final weekend in Carrboro before heading off to Boston. Catch one of the more innovative series in improv comedy yet again this weekend for those in need of a late-night helping of fun. Mr. Diplomat features a performance of spit-fire true stories geared to give any audience pleasure ranging from the absurd to down-right hilarious.
10:30 p.m., Free

Saturday, June 11

Mur Lafferty’s Afterlife Series Launch Party

Chapel Hill Comics | A 5-book series was (and still is) available as in audio format for years, however with the aid of a Kickstarter project and plenty of fan support, Lafferty was able to translate the audio book series into a tangible, viewable form. Now with art, a design, an ebook, and hardcover, Lafferty looks to see of her reinvigorated series with this launch event.
5 p.m to 7 p.m., Free

Brice Randall Bickford

Cat’s Cradle | Bickford will returning to North Carolina to host an album release show Saturday at Cat’s. Come by to take part in the Americana artist’s new release, which will be accompanied by the likes of Phil Cook, Django Haskins, Lee Waters, and Heather McEntire.
8 p.m., Free