Diversions

Movie Review: The Hangover Part II

3 Stars

The wolf pack is back — this time in Thailand, for The Hangover Part II.

In hopes of avoiding a repeat of their last adventure, Stu (Ed Helms) denies the group’s plans to hold yet another out of control bachelor party. Unfortunately for him, one beer on the beach leads to men waking up on the on the floor of a cockroach-infested Bangkok hotel room with no recollection of the previous night.

With a new tattoo, a monkey sidekick, and a surprising old friend, the guys must piece together clues to find Stu’s brother-in-law and
the family’s golden boy.

Almost a twin to the first installment, The Hangover Part II has an highly identical structure and progression. The gang leaves Las Vegas for scenic Thailand, the lost baby is replaced by an elderly monk, and the gang races to find another missing friend.

Doug (Justin Bartha) does not join the adventure this time around, sidelined in order to aid his pregnant wife. Despite great cast chemistry, the déjà vu experience lacks flavor.

The movie lacks much originality, although plenty of laughter is achieved through pure shock value.

Many sequels disappoint in their efforts to reinvent the original. Unapologetic for being a sequel, The Hangover Part II is more than passable simply because it doesn’t take itself too seriously.

The gags may make you sick to your stomach, and while no hangover is by any means good, this one isn’t bad, either.