Diversions

University Mall starts summer concert series

As summer continues to present rising temperatures, The Sweet Carolina Concert Series looks to bring a change of pace to the heated monotony.

Beginning Thursday evening, The University Mall will feature a band every week through July in the space between Dillard’s and Estes Drive, said Greg Sullivan, production manager.

Sullivan said those who wish to dance the summer nights away will have access to a large checkered dance floor in front of the stage. There will also be a padded dance floor for children, he said.

The series, presented by UNC Health Care, is the first outdoor concert series at University Mall, Sullivan said. The event is similar to the concert series that began four years ago at North Hills mall in Raleigh, he said.

The series will feature bands that have performed music throughout the Southeast and will focus on beach music. Sullivan said this style harbors a special flair within the region.

“Anyone whose been in North Carolina for an amount of time knows what beach music is,” Sullivan said.

The Embers, a renowned band of seven, will kick off the series Thursday with their own blend of jazz and soul infused beach music.

Bobby Tomlinson, a member of the band, believes that The Embers’ usual large fan base will provide a big turn-out for the opening night of the series.

“I look for a big crowd. We get a lot of fans,” Tomlinson said.

Continuing the beach theme, attendees are encouraged to bring extra water and personal lawn chairs to the series, Sullivan said.

Sullivan said he expects more than 1,500 people to attend the free event and welcomes students.

“One thing I would love to drive up at University Mall is the student population,” Sullivan said.