Diversions

Music Review: Beloved Binge

Durham-based Beloved Binge pulls out some more lighthearted pop-punk jams with its fourth studio album, Pockets.

Telling facts about Rob Beloved and Eleni Binge: They hail from Seattle, have spent a full year touring around the country in a Westfalia camper and have made a documentary about vegan lifestyles called “Seeing Through the Fence.”

The duo has been collaborating for almost 10 years now, creating its own distinct blend of garage punk and pop.

Together with Mike Wright on bass, they create the sound of a five-piece band on Pockets, providing vocals, guitar, keyboard, drums and the occasional bouzouki.

Vocals are quirky and unrefined, sometimes reminiscent of groups like the Moldy Peaches, and add a humorous touch to lyrics that might seem dark otherwise.

On “Some People Think I’m Nuts,” Beloved and Binge are completely in sync, chanting, “Do you go to bed happy when you’re waking up for work?” And then, before you can even believe it, the song ends.

Much of the album follows suit — songs start and finish quickly, with brief bouts of ironic sentiments or 30-second punk breakdowns. This distinct brand of DIY “camper rock” suggests that the duo is worth seeing live.

Overall, Pockets is charming and blithe, but it will certainly leave listeners with plenty of catchy riffs to get stuck in their heads.