Diversions

Music Review: Yeasayer 'Fragrant World'

Psychedelic pop

The biggest problem with Yeasayer’s newest album is the fact that it followed its first two. But those unfamiliar with the Brooklyn trio will find a solid introduction to its idiosyncratic style in Fragrant World.

While the band’s sound is distinctively pop, Fragrant World also flaunts a trendy R&B flavor that was absent from the previous releases.

Undoubtedly, this new groove is compatible with the group’s heavy synth use and combined with lead singer Chris Keating’s soulful croons, the band explores some new boundaries.

But it’s no replacement for the global rhythms of All Hour Cymbals (2007) or euphoric ‘80s-tinged dance jams on Odd Blood (2010) that have made Yeasayer so addictive to date.

Instead, Fragrant World in itself is a good album — objectively. It has a few sexy moments and plenty of interesting arrangements, especially on “Longevity” and the lead single “Henrietta.” The latter begins with a dark synth line and then transforms into a repetitive, swirling mantra that comprises the best two minutes of the entire album.

Even so, the magic of songs like “Wait for the Summer,” “Ambling Alp” and “O.N.E.” that enamored Yeasayer fans over the last several years is noticeably absent on Fragrant World.