Diversions

Hip-hop duo looks to move beyond basic ‘kool’

<p>Courtesy of The Koolest. Dan the Don, left, and Dinero P, right, comprise the Durham duo The Koolest, which is performing Sunday at the Local 506.</p>
Buy Photos

Courtesy of The Koolest. Dan the Don, left, and Dinero P, right, comprise the Durham duo The Koolest, which is performing Sunday at the Local 506.

Gaining prominence on the hip-hop scene is difficult no matter the city. Yet the two members of The Koolest, a youthful rap and R&B duo, are making recognizable headway and parting the sea of obstacles that lay before them in Durham — a city laden with up-and-coming rappers recording from momma’s basement.

Together, Dinero P and Dan The Don are The Koolest — an appropriately chosen name describing their melody-rich hip-hop and R&B, and also an accurate account of their character. They’re cool in the “most-popular-guy-in-school” kind of way.

Remember? He was the life of the party, smooth, good looking and somehow good at everything he did. He was the coolest. They’re him.

James Gray, a club promoter for Wonderland Promotions contracted by the Casbah in Durham, attests to the duo’s charisma.

“I think they’re going to be the next big thing in the next few years, with a little more polishing,” Gray said. He’s booked them for several events since the day a friend approached him raving about the group.

Having performed in renowned venues and showcases, namely the recent Def Jam Recordings showcase in Chapel Hill, The Koolest is poking huge holes through the tough boundaries to success in the music industry.

The Koolest’s sound can best be described as freshly tuneful and laced with bounce — not exactly the typical description of a hip-hop record. Yet, it’s just that.

Dinero P manages to transform his spoken raspy voice into funky and rhythmic hip-hop hymns, while Dan The Don converts his fun-loving personality into hard-hitting, bass-accessorizing rhymes. Their urban sound evokes the grit and attitude that are standard for good rap music.
“We know how to make everything,” Dinero P said. “We can be introspective and still make music for people to enjoy and dance to. You have to have a balance.”

The first single, “Well Ok,” which is off their newest mixtape Liquor & Noodles, showcases that balance. It’s also one of the band’s favorites.

“It’s the song that represents our story,” Dan The Don said. “People are always telling us we won’t be successful — even my own dad. Well, OK, look where we are now. It’s not a lot, but it’s way further than we were a year ago.”

Back then, he said, the duo was at a standstill.

“We had no projects, no shows, and no fans,” he said. But Dan The Don stuck to words he’d received from famous North Carolina artist, 9th Wonder: hard work and prayer pay off.

A lot of hard work and several prayers later, things have taken a turn for the better for The Koolest.

“The best feeling in the world is when someone you’ve never met a single day in your life says, ‘Yo, that CD was hot,’” Dan the Don said.

Dinero P jokingly completed the thought saying, “I turn around saying, ‘Are they really talking about me?’” He chuckled. “(There’s) a sense of accomplishment there.”

The group’s style is attracting new fans, such as Alondra Parra, who recently saw them perform for the first time.

“They came on stage, and they were really hype and energetic. That’s what attracted me to The Koolest.”

In addition to singing and rapping, Dinero P single-handedly produced 12 of the 16 tracks on the tape, including “My Jam.”

“I had fun doing it, though. When I make things, I picture them in my head first. Like a movie,” he said.

Dan The Don shares the sentiment.

“Although I don’t like storytelling because I don’t like to go the Slick Rick route, I like creating a picture — a visual.”

Dinero P said that’s the technique he applied to Liquor & Noodles,

“I painted a picture, and I’m still amazed that the picture came out exactly how I wanted it to be. I told Danny after our first tape, ‘This next one is going to be great.’”

The obstacles the group faces have now changed in caliber. No longer having to worry about creating a distinct sound that audiences enjoy — or being able to book shows — the group is focusing on maximizing its audience and shopping its tape around for a deal.

The Koolest is set to open up for big-name rap artist Smoke DZA at Local 506 on Sunday.

Not too shabby for a group that has yet to be taken under management. Not too shabby at all.

Contact the desk editor at diversions@dailytarheel.com.