Diversions

Movie Review: Taken 2

“Taken 2” is an example of a decent movie that thrives as a sequel. It does not fail to smoothly continue in the original storyline dictated by the first film.

The film takes place shortly after its predecessor, “Taken.” It follows the story of Bryan Mills (Liam Neeson) and the capture of his family.

After rescuing his kidnapped daughter in “Taken,” Mills became an overprotective father to the point of inserting a GPS in her phone. Mill’s relationship with his family is in an unsteady state.

The movie takes place in Istanbul, where Mills is required to go for his unexplained job. His daughter and estranged wife join him in hopes of reconciliation.

Yet, Istanbul reveals that Mills’ actions from “Taken” did not come without consequence. A vengeful father, Murad Krasniqi (Rade Serbedzija), seeks justice on Mills after discovering that Mills murdered his son.

Mills is kidnapped along with his wife, and a chase for his daughter breaks out for the majority of the film.

Neeson does a wonderful job as a pissed-off father determined to free himself and once again rescue his family. Neeson is the essence of “Taken 2.”

“Taken 2” is an OK film that is worth going to for pure enjoyment. The action scenes make the movie what it is, but there is no other type of substantial value to the film. The series should not progress any further.
It should probably be seen by fans of the original film, but not necessarily by new viewers. Fans do learn one essential thing in watching the movie: Never mess with Liam Neeson.