Diversions

Music Review: Muse, The 2nd Law

Muse has officially left this galaxy in its sixth album The 2nd Law, which is stocked full of out-of-this-world bass-heavy guitar tones and vocalist Matthew Bellamy’s invigorating falsettos.

The stunning aspect of this record lies in the band’s effortless transitions from orchestral and choral build-ups to heavy metallic guitar and bass drum emphases. Much of this LP could be a perfect backdrop to a suspenseful Broadway play or the soundtrack of a movie about a futuristic dystopia on the edge of revolution. The lyrical themes of surviving and rising up seen in many songs certainly support a revolutionary tale.

Although many of the band’s songs do seem to be about some sort of revolution, this defining characteristic works for Muse.

The first track “Supremacy” is a perfect introduction to the prevalent all-or-nothing mood of the album. After an introduction that sounds like the next James Bond theme, the pace dies down to marching band drums and string instruments accompanying Bellamy’s melancholic voice. Out of nowhere, Bellamy throws in his identifying high-pitch vocals and completely changes the feel of the song as the booming guitar again enters the fray.

On the other hand, the track “Panic Station” is a fun disco-pop tune that contrasts its haunting lyrics. It is a fun new side to Muse that remains distinct to the band’s sound as the bridge sounds similar to that of “Hysteria,” one of the band’s earlier songs.

Though it did not seem possible, Muse keeps getting more creative with its instruments and treating audiences to new masterpieces. Listeners will already be anxious to hear the band’s next release.