Diversions

Movie Review: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Following in the footsteps of the “Lord of the Rings” blockbuster trilogy, “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” sought to be just as good or even greater. Peter Jackson’s film was anticipated to be phenomenal. Yet, in all its supposed glory, the movie fell short of anything but mediocre.

J. R. R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” was written as a prequel to the original three “Lord of the Rings” books. However, when transposed to the screen, the book was split into three movies. “An Unexpected Journey” is the first installment of the series.

The film covers the beginning of a new adventure for a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman). The young halfling’s tale is introduced when he is approached by a group of dwarves requesting his aid in their attempt to regain their lost homeland.

After joining the group, Bilbo suffers a series of trials and perils that test his own values. He faces enemies ranging from trolls to orcs and even the infamous Gollum who is once again stupendously played by Andy Serkis.

Common characters from past movies, including Gandalf (Ian McKellen), Elrond (Hugo Weaving) and Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) added a much needed form of familiarity to the strange cast of characters introduced in “The Hobbit.”

The cinematography in the movie was brilliant, beautiful and at times unnecessary. Peter Jackson did a great job in giving visual aid to the audience. However, there were many scenes that were extended past their prime and could have been cut short.

The question that is brought forth by the movie is as to whether or not the great cinematography makes up for the lack of excitement in the plot and the above average, but not exceptional, acting. The overall answer is no. Simply put, “The Hobbit” is too predictable for that to be the case.

“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” was a good movie, but lacked the push to be stupendous. It’s worth seeing, but the viewer should go in prepared to watch the movie in a not so unexpected way.