Diversions

Sneak peek for new albums coming this spring

Honeylion
Virgins Family Band
Release: Feb. 8

Formerly VIRGINS, Virgins Family Band is readying the release of its latest album Honeylion. Born out of a desire to capture the essence of its live performances, Honeylion was recorded live to 2-inch tape.

“It resembles a lot more of our live show than our previous record,” said vocalist and guitarist Saman Khoujinian. He said the analog recording methods utilized strongly influence the music.
Chris Powers

Virgins Family Band on Bandcamp

Willing
Airstrip
Release: Feb. 5

Airstrip’s debut album boasts a range of songs performed by the whole band or solo by frontman Matthew Park. Some songs stem from sincere past experiences while others are written from whatever comes to mind and — lyrically — make no sense.

“I like to juxtapose a pop friendly sound to a darker tone,” Park said. In a home studio, the band was able to take its time experimenting and controlling its sound without restraints. — Amanda Hayes

Airstrip on Bandcamp

Metrics of Affection
Bombadil
Release: March 5

With some songs the band has been working on for years, Bombadil took to its home studio and laid down the tracks for its March release.

“We messed around a lot with vocals and effects with vocals and making new sounds using affects,” said the band’s drummer James Phillips.

The record sounds like folk-leaning pop, but it is more electric and electronic this time around. “I think it is a little more serious this time around,” Phillips said. “But it still certainly sounds like a Bombadil album.” — Amanda Hayes

Bayohbahb
Baobab
Release: March 12

Bayohbahb promises more of the intelligent, world music-influenced pop that’s earned Phil Torres’ band so much praise.

“I feel like it’s sort of an extension of the first album,” Torres said, explaining the motifs of found sounds, string instruments and electronic/acoustic fusion.

Each song on the record is named after a place — including “Gliese 667cc,” offering a take on extra-world music. Of the record’s name, Phil joked, “I think the next album will be called Self-Titled.
Jay Prevatt

Haw
Hiss Golden Messenger
Release: April 2

The first LP of all-new material from Hiss Golden Messenger since 2011’s Poor Moon is easily one of the most anticipated spring releases.

Mike Taylor, the man behind HGM, said Haw was “kind of a complicated record to make emotionally.” As to differences from previous releases, he said: “Maybe there are more black clouds hovering over this particular record— or maybe black helicopters. I’m not sure, it depends on your disposition.”

Sounds mysterious, implying it’ll be par for HGM’s so-far-excellent course. — Allison Hussey

Bombadil, Baobab and Hiss Golden Messenger playlist on Spotify