Diversions

Bands battle to fundraise for charity

What do you get when you’re assigned the task of putting together an event that pits local bands against one another in friendly competition to benefit charity?

Band Together Executive Director Matt Strickland has an idea.

“It’s the organizational equivalent of a mullet,” Strickland said.

The Last Band Standing is that battle of the bands. The event is presented by Band Together, a nonprofit organization that uses live music to spur social change. All competing bands are from North Carolina and include Big Fat Gap, Mac and Juice, The Beast and The Deluge.

Last Band Standing is now in its third year, with the Tammy Lynn Center for Developmental Disabilities being this year’s beneficiary.

Though the center typically sets a goal of $250,000 for annual fundraising, this year leaders at the center are hoping to reach $800,000 with the help of Band Together.

“It was a pretty rigorous application process,” said Sarah Crawford, director of development at the Tammy Lynn Center.

“We had to write a lot of grants; we had to do a lot of things to raise money. Altogether, it was probably the most difficult process I’ve ever been through.”

Band Together toured the Tammy Lynn Center, along with other competing charities, after the initial application process. The goal was to learn in depth about the charities’ missions and the people they served before deciding.

“We weren’t sure where we were and what our competition was per se. We kind of put everything out there,” Crawford said. “We got the call the next day, and I’m pretty sure I cried.”

Strickland put together the specifics of the event.

“I’m the one and only staff member in every committee,” he said.

The bands were selected in a process supervised by a group of volunteers, Strickland said.

Spearheading this group was a local music lover, Jim Graves, who Strickland endlessly commended for his help in the process.

Graves researched, recommended and advised the committee on the bands selected for the show, Strickland said.

Among the performers is Wilmington’s Mac and Juice, who specializes in a unique brand of rock ‘n’ roll.

“We’re honored for being considered, on top of being part of the good cause,” said Brian “Juice” Raynor.

“We look forward to being in front of a crowd of people that are different than those that would usually see us,” Raynor said.

Despite the competition, the serious cause and the hectic nature of organization, both Strickland and Crawford are having a blast with the event, while remaining genuinely captivated by this year’s cause.

“I don’t think that we all get exposed, or that we all know about developmental disabilities,” Crawford said.

“It really is a story that needs to be told, and we’re really grateful that Band Together has taken us on as a cause and grateful for the sponsors that are coming along with us for this ride to really raise the bar and raise awareness for the Tammy Lynn Center.”

Contact the desk editor at diversions@dailytarheel.com.

For tickets and other information on this year’s Last Band Standing, click here.