Diversions

Movie review: Quartet

In a society with its media dominated by the glamour of youth, any film centered on anyone older than 60 is incredibly refreshing. Even though “Quartet,” directed by Dustin Hoffman and based on Ronald Harwood’s play, lacks believability and action and is filled with predictability, it does ignite a passion for life.

Beecham House, a beautiful mansion in a rural area of England, houses a number of retired musical legends. In the home, the former stars sing, play instruments and reminisce about past performances. It’s hard not to smile while watching them cheerfully harmonize with one another even though they use wheelchairs and walkers.

When Jean (Maggie Smith) arrives at Beecham House, the film’s plot begins to take shape.

The famous singer’s appearance is welcomed with resentment by Reggie (Tom Courtenay), Jean’s ex-husband who remained in love with her, even after their messy divorce.

Characters hint that Beecham House is struggling with a lack of funding. Thus, the residents, led by pompous ex-director Cedric (Michael Gambon), plan a public concert.

All of the residents agree that the concert’s finale should be a revival of the “Rigoletto” quartet that was incredibly popular when performed by Reggie, Jean, Cissy (Pauline Collins), and Wilf (Billy Connolly). In order to make this happen, the three old friends must convince Jean to abandon her fears of performing.

Though the plot is simple and slow at times, the acting in “Quartet” is commendable. Smith’s strong character expresses fears of and embarrassment about aging honestly. Collins effortlessly portrays a scatter-minded Cissy, and Connolly encompasses all of the traits of a charming and flirtatious lover of life.

One of the film’s most interesting characters is Courtenay’s Reggie. Though soft-spoken and heartbroken, he is full of love. He regularly gives talks to teenagers about music, and he genuinely shows interest in learning from the teens. The scene depicting this is especially powerful as it addresses the ability for different generations to bond and learn from one another.

Though the characters constantly complain about aging, “Quartet” works to show that age is but a number.

Dive Verdict: ???½