Diversions

Movie Review: Stand Up Guys

Stand Up Guys
3 stars

Walken. Pacino. Arkin. “Stand Up Guys” is the product of three classic actors who decided to take nothing for granted in a film classified by humor, violence and a touch of sentimentality.

“Stand Up Guys” is the story of the relationship between two former con artists. After being released from a 28-year sentence, Valentine, also known as “Val,”(Al Pacino) meets up with his former partner Doc (Christopher Walken).

Having lost so many years of life, and the knowledge of Doc’s bounty on him the next morning, Val decides to live life to the fullest. Going from expensive meals to expensive suits, Val “fails” to pay for any of his expeditions.

The ex-cons go to the extent of busting their former partner Hirsch (Alan Arkin) out of a nursing home. They gallivant about the city enjoying the spoils of crime they once lived by.
Though their characters may not be benevolent, Walken, Pacino and Arkin played their parts wonderfully with very few flaws. There were moments in the film that could have been improved, or even left out, but in general, the movie had a decent plot line.

Overall, “Stand Up Guys” was a bittersweet piece of art. The acting kept the movie in line, but everything else was bland at best.

The movie’s combination of subtle and blatant humor provides “Stand Up Guys” a channel for a heartfelt and uplifting experience. The relationships between the characters are perfectly portrayed through the charisma of the experienced actors. None of the veterans to the screen have lost a step in their abilities to capture the audience by storm and satiate the desire of the ticket holder.
Pacino’s repeated question summarizes the film: “Are we chewing gum or kicking ass?” Similar to Walken’s response , “Stand Up Guys” is completely out of gum.