Diversions

Movie short: Amour

What’s love got to do with it? In the Oscar-nominated film “Amour,” apparently everything — and nothing.

Using stiff cinematography, a minimalist set and intricate performances, Austrian director Michael Haneke takes the audience on an unglorified journey through the last moments of life.

Set in France, “Amour” centers around elderly couple Georges (Jean-Louis Trintignant) and Anne (Emmanuelle Riva).

When Anne has a stroke, Georges must go through the difficulties of nursing his paralyzed wife as her body slowly deteriorates.

The acting in this film is beyond phenomenal. Trintignant’s portrayal of Georges makes the viewer feel just as helpless as the character, who fights the guilt caused by his inability to save his wife.

Riva completely steals the show and shatters viewers’ hearts in her near-perfect performance as the dying Anne.

By using long, unnerving silences and wide shots, Haneke makes the viewer feel the agonizing monotony of each day as both Anne and Georges wait for her death. The director confines the viewer with the couple in their cozy apartment, and it’s much like being trapped in a coffin.

The film is sometimes too real in its depiction, demanding the viewer to sit through long takes and a slow pace with minimal movement or activity. At times it seems like the plot is going nowhere, and by the end the audience is hoping for Anne’s death. But perhaps this is exactly what Haneke wants.

Heavy in content and even heavier on the soul, “Amour” is much more than a love story.

This movie will leave the viewer with a tear-stained face, questioning the morals regarding life and death they thought they had.

Dive Verdict: ???½