Diversions

Music Review: Airstrip

Airstrip
Willing
3 stars
Rock

In its debut album, Willing, Airstrip stirs up a heavy and ominous space for its “nightmare pop” to flourish with bruising rhythms and sinister melodies. The Triangle band lures listeners in with a powerful and menacing force that pushes one to dive into the album’s haze of dark pop rock.

The creator of Willing’s boisterous world is Matthew Park. Park was one half of the band Veelee, an amiable and energetic duo that split in 2011. Some may say that out of heartbreak inevitably comes a great work of art, and while Willing is cultivating, it is not a delicate or gentle craft. Instead, its heavy tones and looming vibes are more of a cathartic release of the heavier side of pop that is often contained within the seams of rock.

The album may be a heavy load on the listener, however, it is patient as its ample atmosphere builds. At any moment, Willing is anticipated to shift to some out-of-control heavy metal jumble, but Airstrip consistently keeps it tight and unrushed. Willing avoids a wild and hysteric pace as its creeping pulse invites heaviness to soak in while its poppy “nightmare” grows with each striking chord.

The band perfects the ability to place engaging pop inside a gloomy dream with “Happenstance,” while the wicked reverie is brought to fruition on “So-So,” where Park conjures a twisted lullaby with vocals that make the listener dare not fall asleep for what may await.
But however loud and puncturing Willing may be, its constant heaviness can be monotonous on tracks like “Middle of the Night,” and the lulling “Sleepy.”

Nevertheless, Willing is not so much a “picking up the pieces” album for Park and crew. Its design is much darker than that. Instead, Willing is a realization that the next stage may be hazy and grim, but if you allow yourself to slip into the unknown nightmare, meaning and fulfillment is still realistic.