Diversions

Music short: My Bloody Valentine

Where do we go from here? For the past 22 years, this question has plagued My Bloody Valentine.

In 1991, the band released Loveless, a critically acclaimed and extremely influential album. But soon after, the band went on a prolonged hiatus, and it seemed that it would never be heard from again. Yet out of nowhere, two weeks ago the band released its follow up, a nine-song album simply titled mbv.

Those concerned that My Bloody Valentine might have lost a step during its hibernation have nothing to fear.

mbv still features Kevin Shields’ warped and distorted guitars as well as Bilinda Butcher’s whispered, dreamlike vocals — traits the band is known for.

And although it seems like a direct successor to the two-decade-old Loveless, the new album is always fresh and never sounds outdated.

mbv can be broken up into three easily defined mini-albums consisting of three songs apiece. The first triplet is classic My Bloody Valentine.

Each track assures listeners that the band hasn’t lost its defining sound, and “only tomorrow” could easily be mistaken for a song from Loveless.

The next three are the album’s catchiest songs. Here, a keyboard replaces the guitar as the focal point of the tracks. “new you” is the record’s most single-ready track, if there were ever to be one.

mbv concludes with a threesome of experimental songs. “wonder 2” sounds like it was recorded on a moving helicopter and is a must-listen.

Fans anticipating an album better than Loveless will be disappointed — but to expect a record as influential and innovative is unfair.

Instead, My Bloody Valentine produces nine exceptional tracks that make its reappearance worth the wait.

Dive Verdict: ????½