Diversions

Music short: Parenthetical Girls

Parenthetical Girls embraces its pop instincts while keeping the edges sharp with the newly released Privilege (Abridged). This cohesive album is by far the band’s best to date, boldly asserting Parenthetical Girls as one of the best indie-pop outfits today.

In 2010, Parenthetical Girls embarked on its most ambitious project: an album released over the course of three years, spread across five limited-edition vinyl EPs. Now, Privilege (Abridged) serves as a collection of 12 of the album’s tightest songs, sequenced to produce a 43-minute LP.

Opener “Evelyn McHale” kicks the album off with a light melody accompanied by acoustic guitar and snare drum, as vocalist Zac Pennington romanticizes about stardom from the gutter: “Train those charms towards the charts and we’ll be stars just the way that we are.”

Flowing seamlessly to the next track, “The Common Touch” gradually defines its own beauty with delicately arranged woodwinds, glockenspiel and piano interrupted by sudden bursts of dissonance. Pennington’s delivery here is tightly wound, alternating between smooth phrases and unhinged coos of desperation.

The album’s penultimate song, “The Privilege” is arguably the record’s best.

Pennington broods over mournful synths, which provide a suffocating backdrop as he channels his ‘80s unconventional sexual swagger, singing “bring me the head of my love life, hopes rise waist high. It’s never quite like the first time, but I don’t mind.”

Through Privilege (Abridged), Parenthetical Girls has found a happy medium with music that manages to be satisfyingly dramatic and unusual that doesn’t feel overly grandiose or trite.

Although its unique sound does not appeal to all audiences, it’s unmistakably unapologetic style is sure to capture the hearts of many. Dive verdict: ?????