Diversions

Dive Recommends: March 22-28

Friday, March 22

Blood Red River
Local 506, Chapel Hill
Doors 9 p.m., Show 9:30 p.m., $10

Blood Red River along with New Town Drunks, Phatlynx and Infidels is playing at the Norton Records Benefit to raise money to restore Norton Records’ warehouse after Hurricane Sandy swept through the east coast. Blood Red River is a five-member “action/adventure” band out of Durham with twisted blends of surfer and rockabilly music and of course some go-go dancing. If you like the rockabilly of Carrboro’s Flat Duo Jets, the grungy blues-rock of MC5 or a rock ‘n’ roll edge of an old-school ‘70s beach party, then Blood Red River is up your alley.

The Lollipops/Jenny Besetzt
The Pinhook, Durham
Doors: 9 pm, Show: 10 pm, $6

Raleigh indie-poppers The Lollipops are powered by songwriter Iggy Cosky’s sharp hooks and bubbly arrangements. The bedroom recording act turned live band promises to deliver uplifting vibes pleasantly foiled by Jenny Besetzt’s more downcast take on driving synth-pop. Baltimore’s Wing Dam round out the bill with its melodic fuzz rock.

Saturday, March 23

Benoit Pioulard
Casbah, Durham, NC
Doors 8 p.m., Show 9 p.m., $8

Benoit Pioulard is a singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist known as Thomas Meluch that started recording in his teens. Pioulard’s newest album “Hymnal,” released this month, features an electric accordion, piano, violins and reed organ that latches the music to the natural beauty of the world with a mix of organic and generated sounds. Heads on Sticks and Feltbattery also share the bill.

Tuesday, March 26

The Revivalists
Southland Ballroom, Raleigh
$10 Advance/$12 Day of
Doors 7 p.m., Show 8 p.m.

Formed in New Orleans in 2007, The Revivalists has a tight grip on its hometown’s big-band jazz roots, incorporating the saxophone, trumpet, pedal steel guitar and soulful street vocals. The band’s pop-rock style puts it on the map but the New Orleans influence sets it apart from another indie-rock band, giving the band an unforgettable sound all to its own. The band’s laid-back outdoor feel meant for a summer festival takes reggae to the mainstream and fuses old funk with the new folk rock.

Wednesday, March 27

Whatever Brains
Slims, Raleigh
9 pm, $7

Whatever Brains’ wildly unpredictable brand of garage punk must be seen to be believed. The band’s high-energy live shows have become the stuff of legend throughout the Triangle music scene. Double Negative, Neo-Cons and NO LOVE are also set to perform as part of this raucous bill.

Javelin
Kings, Raleigh
8:30 pm, Show: 9 pm, $10

Brooklyn duo Javelin are not known to comply with typical music norms. The act is famous for performing with colorful stacks of vintage boomboxes used to amplify their R&B-infused electronic pop. Raleigh Moncrief and Jamaican Queens will open.