Diversions

Music short: Golden Grrrls

Golden Grrrls’ hotly anticipated debut album is a collection of simple pop songs, all sweet, concise and insanely catchy melodies displaying the best of this dynamic trio.

The first of these is “New Pop,” which sets the tone as it rattles along at warp speed. This quick tune features three-part vocal harmonies, which dominate most of the record, along with relentless tones of reverb and loose percussion. Ringing along with a frenzy of fuzzy guitars, the threesome coos incoherently about absent lovers.

“Past Tense” continues seamlessly into a lighter refrain with airy guitars and a playful, easy presentation. Drummer and vocalist Eilidh Rodgers playfully sings, “Take your time, I’m already there.” While she may be patient enough to wait, the heavy bass and singsong verses keep any listener surging forward.

“Older Today” is the album’s standout moment. It begins in the same manner as the other tracks, but as it slowly reaches its climax, bassist and vocalist Ruari MacLean’s baritone delivery sets up a perfect complement to the angelic voices of his female counterparts.

Like many ‘90s British pop groups, the album coasts on a heavy feel-good vibe from start to finish. Yet it often feels as if the group is stuck on repeat, sticking to the same formula throughout. The songs are too similar, and it is difficult to find highs or lows, making it hard to become emotionally attached as a listener.

Nonetheless, with a distinctive playful style derived from punk and crash-pop enthusiasm, such a fun and lighthearted nature is contagious, guaranteeing a good time for all.

Dive Verdict: ?????