Diversions

Behind the Reel: 3 Strikes – Is Shailene in or out?

I’m sure most remember Shailene Woodley back in the days of “The Secret Life of the American Teenager.” You remember that show – it’s the one when sweet girl Amy gets pregnant at band camp and things go south from there. Honestly I think that’s as far as I got with the plot before I started to question ABC Family’s rep.

Many learned to appreciate Woodley again after she landed her first break on the big screen in the Academy Award nominated picture “The Descendants.” But while she was nominated for a Golden Globe, I couldn’t shake the fact that, again, she just played an intelligent yet whiny teen.

Recently landing three big roles to come out in the next 3 years, I don’t think even Woodley knows how much her career and image is about to change. First, she got the part of Mary Jane in the upcoming “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.” Emma Stone is reprising her role as Gwen Stacy so it will be interesting to see how the plot pans out with this new leading lady (lets just hope the director plans to deviate from the comic book plot, for Emma Stone’s sake).

Next Woodley has, rather surprisingly, captured the lead role in two book-to-film adaptions – the futuristic tough girl Tris in “Divergent” and the intelligent cancer-ridden teen Hazel in “The Fault in Our Stars.” One can only hope there are no Twihard fan repeats but both of these young adult novels are high on the best-selling list and strong anticipated films of the years to come. These roles couldn’t be more contradictory and I’m interested to see just how far Woodley can stretch her acting capabilities.

The bar has been set pretty high for these next 3 films and Shailene better be ready to impress.

“The Fault in Our Stars” trailer