Diversions

Behind the Reel: the new "Oldboy' in town

After the international success of Psy’s “Gangnam Style” and the impending threat of nuclear attack (by the North), it’s no wonder the world is looking at Korea right now.

And utilizing this attention, Spike Lee has taken upon himself to adapt the famous Korean film “Oldboy” and make an American version starring Josh Brolin. The movie is scheduled to come out October of this year.

But before you take yourself to see Lee’s version (one I regard with anticipation and excitement) I suggest you watch Korean director Chan-wook Park’s original film.

It centers on Dae-Su Oh, acted by Min-sik Choi, who is kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years. After he is released he has five days to find who kidnapped him and take his revenge.

Using intricate cinematography, stifling violence, and poetic dialogue, Park delivers a multi-faceted film that explores the dark places of the human consciousness and challenged the audience’s moral compass.

“Oldboy” is the second installment of Chan-woo Park’s Revenge Trilogy (a set of films that look at the psychological and ethical components of revenge). “Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance” (2002)
and “Lady Vengeance” (2005) are the other two films. They do not have to be watched in order and all three films are on Netflix. If you enjoy watching Park’s “Oldboy”, I highly recommend the other films.

And if subtitles aren’t your thing, you can just wait until October.

Chan-wook Park’s “Oldboy”