Diversions

Movie Review: Oblivion

Oblivion
??1/2

Tom Cruise once again proves he is at his best in a solo action role. “Oblivion,” directed by Joseph Kosinski, utilizes Cruise in the best way and is so visually breathtaking that you almost forget how convoluted the plot is.

It’s year 2077 and Earth has been vacated due to a war between an alien race that destroyed the moon. The survivors have all left and their memories wiped. Cruise plays Jack Harper, an overseer stationed on Earth to monitor security and drone maintenance. He is accompanied on this mission by Victoria (Andrea Riseborough), his work partner and lover.

Despite his memory having been wiped, Jack still has flashbacks of his past and they all contain a mysterious woman (Olga Kurylenko,“Quantum of Solace”).

Although the first half is a drag plot wise, the second act quickly picks up with the introduction of Morgan Freeman’s character and his followers. However, the plot becomes so elaborate with its futuristic complexities that you just want someone to explain it to you.

Thankfully, most of the cast goes above and beyond a normal sci-fi-action film. Cruise is, as usual, great as the hero and you feel for his character as he laments pre-apocalyptic American pastimes like the Super Bowl. Freeman spruces up the second act as the rebel leader with lots of swagger.

However, it’s Riseborough’s performance as Victoria that steals the show. Despite the robotic, cold nature when it comes to Victoria’s job, Riseborough is able to break down that stiffness to convey unbelievable depth.

The visual effects are absolutely breathtaking. Kosinski, who also directed “Tron: Legacy,” makes the hi-tech world come alive. Despite the world being desolate and ruined, Kosinski’s visuals somehow make it eerily beautiful. However, these stunning visuals don’t have a lasting effect and the mind re-focuses on the confusing plot.

But in the end, the plot still isn’t fully understandable. You’re still scratching your head trying to figure who’s who, what happened, and why it’s actually called “Oblivion.”