Diversions

Movie Review: Olympus Has Fallen

Olympus Has Fallen
3.5 stars

Are you proud to be an American? You should be after watching “Olympus Has Fallen.”

The movie is a reflection of pride in one’s country. It depicts the president as a man of integrity and his agents as men of harsh love. The film’s representations of these Americans pull in audiences, emotionally connecting them to their leader, forgetting that he is just an actor.

“Olympus Has Fallen” is the story of a North Korean terrorist siege of the White House and one man’s deep love for his country that spurs on his attempts to rescue the president.

Mike Banning (Gerard Butler), an ex-secret service agent, who moved to the Treasury Department after a fatal accident in the president’s motorcade, was working in his office when the Koreans unleashed themselves upon Washington D.C., kidnapping the president and taking over the White House.

Still loyal to the leader of the free world, Banning takes the rescue mission upon himself by infiltrating the building after many agents die, with the goal of saving the president’s son and freeing him from an unbreakable underground bunker.

The cinematography was wonderful. It created a dark, yet hopeful and intriguing environment as Banning searched and killed. The film’s sound effects were a perfect addition as well. From machine guns to hand to hand combat, the arrangement of noises added a greater intensity to the movie.

Butler does a good job combining action and drama. He is able to make sure that through all the gun shots and explosions there is no lack of tension, emotional or physical. Aaron Eckhart is a good president; however, he does not seem to pull out of the role as the attractive politician with influential speeches such as he did in “The Dark Knight” as Harvey Dent.

“Olympus Has Fallen” is a good movie. It is worth every penny spent and will leave a lasting memory. It’s a great way to spend two hours watching action, adventure and artistry. The film
represents the true values of an American: loyalty, courage, action-packed fight sequences and Morgan Freeman.