Diversions

Movie short: 42

Finally, a biopic that doesn’t overdo it on the history lesson. “42” is a compelling lesson about an American hero who triumphed in the face of discrimination and is one of the best sports movies to come along in years.

“42” follows the story of Jackie Robinson’s controversial yet inspiring entrance into Major League Baseball. Branch Rickey (an almost unrecognizable Harrison Ford), the executive manager to the Brooklyn Dodgers, reaches out to Robinson and asks him to play. But he doesn’t want just any player; he wants a player that has the guts not to fight back against the prejudice.

The performances are top notch, too. Newcomer Chadwick Boseman (“Lincoln Heights”) is perfectly cast as Robinson, the silent leader and esteemed player. Anytime he is hit with piercing racial slurs you’re just waiting for the moment when he triumphs. Ford transforms himself into a cigar-chomping, tough-loving Rickey who plays the father Robinson never had.

The supporting roles, including the Dodgers’ manager Leo Durocher (Christopher Meloni, “Law and Order: SVU”), are stellar. Sportswriter Wendell Smith (Andre Holland, NBC’s “1600 Penn”) chronicles Robinson’s journey as “a black man in white baseball” while he looks for equality in the field of journalism.

This film tells the story of America’s flawed pastime has evolving for the greater good. “42” doesn’t just explore an important moment in baseball history, but American history as a whole. By the end of the film, you will want to stand up and cheer and be wearing the number 42 on your back, too. Dive Verdict: ????