Diversions

Movie short: Jurassic Park in 3-D

“Jurassic Park” in 3-D reminds audiences of 20 years ago — while taking them back to a prehistoric era.

The film keeps audiences wanting more when the lights come back on. Its cinematography is stupendous, and the 3D only adds to the already great special effects for any movie, let alone one that was originally released in 1993.

After extracting DNA from a fossilized mosquito, scientists create a theme park full of dinosaurs. The movie follows two scientists who visit the attraction with the purpose of giving their professional approval for the park to be opened to the public.

Trouble comes along when a devious employee turns off the entire park’s power; all the dinosaurs break loose and are able to satiate their primitive desires.

Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) is working to reunite with his fellow scientist and significant other Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern). In the process he saves the owner’s grandchildren and gains a new perspective on love.

When watching a movie that has been rereleased in 3-D, the question that comes to mind is whether it has been enhanced to cover-up what the movie lacks in brilliance or to make an already great film into a legend. With “Jurassic Park” there’s no doubt that it will go down in history as a masterpiece.

Putting “Jurassic Park” in 3-D was an appealing idea. By giving the movie the extra flair, there is an entirely new experience for viewers, while renewing their initial wonder.

The dinosaurs are more realistic — at least as realistic as extinct animals can be — than in the original release. It may even seem as if they are roaming the theater with you; just keep telling yourself they won’t eat you in the process.

Dive Verdict: ????