Diversions

Music review: Redd Kross, Researching the Blues

West Coast rockers Redd Kross are comfortably back in the saddle after 15 years of inactivity with a monumental new album, Researching the Blues, driving the group back into alt-rock stardom.

The album is a fast-paced frenzy from the kicker, but is always precisely organized to keep the listener safe on the Redd Kross rollercoaster.

The thrilling adventure launches with an adrenaline shot in the title track, and soon hits a high with a jolly warning in the next song “Stay Away from Downtown,” mirroring fellow Merge legend Superchunk. The rolls continue with the perfect ‘60s garage band duo of “Meet Frankenstein” and “One of the Good Ones” while the Weezer-wired “Winter Blues” keeps the album charged.

Researching the Blues is a mixing bowl of rock’s evolution, blended perfectly together and cooked up to make one of music’s best desserts. And just like any sweet treat, it leaves you wanting another taste.

It is hard to ignore the sugar rush you get after the album’s first listen, but try to shake off the immediate demand for more and instead take the time to soak in all of the album’s worth. Redd Kross is revitalizing rock through the band’s rebirth, laying down a motley arrangement of influences as a foundation, while building its own defining structure upon that foundation.

The structure works, but it does have its slight cracks. Songs like “Uglier” and “The Nu Temptations” support the album, but do not stand out like the rest. These tunes do not damage the whole, but add a blemish that could have been tweaked.

Nevertheless, the album is a beautiful reunion for the group and a promising step forward. Redd Kross is no longer hiding its talent as it’s out and touring, so perhaps our sugar craving for more will be satisfied soon enough.

Dive Verdict: ???1/2