Diversions

Music short: Estrangers 'Season of 1000 Colors'

Season of 1000 Colors crams some differing styles within its 33 minutes, and the result is a diverse, pleasant — but not terribly original work.

The Winston-Salem-based band has been known for its infectious breed of fuzz pop. This time, Estrangers’ sound ranges far and wide, from the chilled ‘60s surf a la Pet Sounds that dominates its lovers crooner, “Hold Me Close,” to the psyched out folk of “Cape Fear,” one of the top tracks on the album.

All of the tracks are easy listening, with fuzzed out guitar and atmospheric keyboards padding pop melodies inflected with Estrangers’ influence of choice.

Lead singer Philip Pledger has a very distinct voice echoing Hamilton Leithauser of The Walkmen, so it comes as a surprise at how well his singing fits within each song. His melodramatic slight whine is just as at home on the twee “Love’s Pure Light” as on the hazy “Cape Fear.”

“Hold Me Close” is spaced out and mournful, surf guitars underpinning Pledger’s melancholy introspection. The pair is an eerie, earnest combination that makes it the most soulful song.

While each song is pleasant to listen to, there isn’t much new being explored on this record. The members seem to take the safe route on each tune, opting for lighter melodies and tried and true styles in place of more experimentation and variation. Yes, the different influences are there, but they are watered down, and much too varied, resulting in a nebulous rather than eclectic sound for the band.

But this isn’t to say Season of 1000 Colors is not enjoyable (it is), it’s just not much you haven’t heard before.

Dive Verdict: ???