Diversions

Phuzz Phest 2013, Day 1

<p>Drag Sounds perform at The Garage</p>
Buy Photos

Drag Sounds perform at The Garage

The second annual Phuzz Phest took place in Winston-Salem April 4-6. Diversions went to the Camel City to check out North Carolina’s best bands and to discover some new favorites.

What better way to start off a weekend-long music festival (especially after a terribly stormy drive over) than with the folk country goodness of Mount Moriah? Add in a serene auditorium in an art museum, and you’ve hit the spot.

For me, Phuzz Phest 2013 began at the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art with the tailend of Some Army excellent set and then the magnificent Mount Moriah performance. From Heather McEntire’s onstage banter about her favorite Demon Deacon, to the quite explanation of the band’s personal feeling songs, the band offered a near-perfect set with numbers from its recent Merge release Miracle Temple, as well as some older songs.

After SECCA, we headed to The Garage for a few sets before calling it a night. Greensboro’s Drag Sounds kicked things off with load guitars and sincere vocals, an opposite, yet complimentary introduction to Nashville guitar wizard William Tyler. Even Tyler’s creepishly long finger picking nails were immediately forgotten once he began his mesmerizing guitar loops and the show was a fantastic end to an overall heavy-hitting festival that is still so young. Based on this year’s night one alone, Phuzz Phest round three should be even just as impressive.