Diversions

Q&A with Mibbs of Pacific Division

<p>California hip-hop outfit Pac Div hits The Pinhook this week.</p>

<p>Photo courtesy of Pac Div</p>
Buy Photos

California hip-hop outfit Pac Div hits The Pinhook this week.

Photo courtesy of Pac Div

Mibbs, Like and BeYoung are Pacific Division, better known as Pac Div. The California crew promises a fun show at The Pinhook on Wednesday with Defacto Thezpian.

Staff writer Mballa Mendouga spoke to Mibbs about tour life, personal life and mayonnaise.

Diversions: What is a regular day in the life of Pac Div?

Mibbs: Right now it’s a lot of moving — and it’s cold too. It’s snowing and, Grand Rapids is for real, it’s not spring just yet.

Dive: What happens after you wake up on the tour bus?

Mibbs: Well since it’s a tour bus, you’ve got to always grab your stuff because there’s a bunch of stuff everywhere and you’ve got to move your stuff around to find s—-. Then we go to the venues, and we have sound check. Then, we drink a little bit, smoke a little bit, eat something and then try to keep up with our day-to-day lives.

Dive: You guys are a trio. You don’t see that in hip-hop that often anymore. Why did you guys choose that route?

Mibbs: Because it’s a lot of selfish people in the world. Most people just want the spotlight all to themselves. They just want to be the raisin in the sun. In the traditional sense of musical groups, you start out as a band as a group of people and then if you want to do projects on your own, you use the band to try to do solo stuff.

We’re a basketball team and we’ve got to pass each other the ball and we’ve got to run offense. You can’t pass the ball to your damn self.

Dive: What’s something that you want people to know about you guys?

Mibbs: I would want people to know that I’m into film. We all have personal interests outside of the music. Like me, I don’t like mayonnaise. What you didn’t know, I like my tilapia blackened. The simple stuff, I’m a simple man. I don’t like drops for radio stations. You’ve got to do them, but I don’t like doing them. I could tell you a bunch of stuff.

Dive: That’s what we want to know about you. We want the inside stuff, not stuff that people can Google.

Mibbs: That mayonnaise part is important though. You need to take note of that. Because they always overdo mayonnaise! I don’t want no sloppy burger, I don’t want my bread soggy, I don’t want that s—- sliding around. Give me a little bit of mustard and keep my burger together. That’s important.