Diversions

TV Review: The Rise and Fall of Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars is back, Marshmallows!

Alright, so it’s old news that the Veronica Mars movie is happening. And, of course, Hollywood is still flipping out on its success in becoming the biggest Kickstarter campaign in history. Ultimately, the resurrection of TV’s most beloved, misunderstood character will finally fill the void left in the die-hard Mars fans, while the 70,000 backers behind the Kickstarter project will definitely impact the way movies are made.

Fans of the UPN teen drama were sourly disappointed when the series went off the air in 2007. With the merge of UPN and The WB, the new CW had a chance to cherry-pick its crème-of-the-crop programs from both networks respectively. Smallville, Supernatural, and America’s Next Top Model (ANTM) all made the cut but Veronica Mars was left hanging dry on the season finale episode “The Bitch is Back” that was ultimately the series finale.

She surely was not back.

Since then, fans have been teased with the possibility of a season 4 on a different network, with Veronica Mars (played by Kristen Bell) sporting a pants-suit as an FBI agent. Then there was Rob Thomas blabbing at every interview about properly wrapping up the series with a movie. But the dream died and fans soon moved on.

Helping fans to cope, we eventually saw Kristen Bell once again in Heroes and Forgetting Sarah Marshall and also heard her sultry narration frequently on Gossip Girl. As for Rob Thomas, we were able to witness more of his creative genius in the Starz’s sitcom Party Down.

Now with three days left in the Veronica Mars Kickstarter campaign and over $4.5 million raised, twice the amount of it’s needed pledge goal of $2 million, Veronica Mars is finally making its return, but this time on the big screen.

There’s no doubt that the junior private eye from sunny California will make an amazing cinematic transition as Ms. Mars is one of best written characters no matter what screen. With Veronica Mars, you get the wit of Dr. House, the brashness of Shakespeare’s shrew, Katherine Minola, with the connect-the-dots intelligence of Sherlock Holmes. Alright, we can use the rudimentary modern-day Nancy Drew comparison, but I think we’ve gotten pass that as their only shared similarities includes their gender and private-eye hobby.

The Rob Thomas series is much more dark. Pushing the limits of network television, Veronica Mars is the only American television series, to this day, to address date rape and its aftermath for more than a few episodes. Class politics is also an essential theme on the television series as we see her father, Keith Mars (Enrico Colantoni), sacrifices his marriage, status, and career to prosecute the richest man in town for the murder of Veronica’s pal, Lilly Kane (Amanda Seyfried), and, in turn, see Ms. Mars turn into a social pariah because of it.

You’re going to want to relive this television series or, if you’re unfamiliar with the smart drama, experience it for the first time before the movie is released in 2014. You can catch every episode from the three seasons currently on The WB’s website for free.