Diversions

Music Review: Neko Case

Neko Case
The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You
3 1/2 stars
Country/folk

For all of the heavy emotions covered on Neko Case’s newest record, her sound hasn’t gained much gravitas. Instead, the country twang and gentle vocals of The Worse Things Get picks up right where her last release (2009’s Middle Cyclone) left off. In fact, the only song that seems to radically break the formula (the superb gender bending “Man”) could have fit comfortably with Case’s power pop project The New Pornographers.

But despite the stylistic uniformity in Case’s catalog, the songs remain undoubtedly heartbreaking and honest. And as Case beautifully lifts her high, lonesome voice across the album’s 38 minutes, the production warmly embraces her with soft horns and deep, textured guitars. Lyrically, the album is more indebted to Case’s breakout record (2006’s Fox Confessor Brings the Flood) with its tales of love gained and lost. In that spirit, Case’s cover of Nico’s “Afraid” serves as the thematic center of The Worse Things Get with its quiet proclamation, “You are beautiful and you are alone.”

The emotional payoff of these songs would be nullified if not for the masterful pacing of the album. The tempo is almost always unpredictable, from the swirling fury of “Man” to the sparse, nearly a capella sadness of “Nearly Midnight, Honolulu.” The midtempo hustle of “City Swans” kick starts the album back into action, only to be followed by the bleakness of “Afraid.” But despite the success of the pacing, several songs are simply forgettable (“Wild Creatures,” “Bracing for Sunday,” “Where Did I Leave That Fire”).

Ultimately, The Worse Things Get falls into the same trap as Middle Cyclone. It provides several outstanding, well-made songs that seem destined to be taken out of the album and used to add a generous scoop of heart to your next mixtape.