Diversions

Music Review: Janelle Monáe

Janelle Monáe
The Electric Lady
4 stars
R&B

Janelle Monáe has turned heads since her strong debut album The ArchAndroid, eschewing the hyper-sexualized nature of her peers and displaying a deep interest in multiple genres. With her sophomore effort The Electric Lady, influences range from gospel to funk, forming an incredibly distinct record that rarely falters in its high ambitions.

The Electric Lady begins with two high-profile collaborations with Prince and Erykah Badu.

While these two are big names, the better features come from younger artists like Solange and Miguel. “Electric Lady” with Solange is instantly catchy and will have anyone singing along by the second listen.

“PrimeTime,” a duet with Miguel, features the two rising stars of R&B trading soulful verses over a stark beat. The additional gospel harmonies in the background fill out the track, as does a striking guitar solo.

Interestingly, some of the best parts have Monáe rapping verses rather than singing. Tracks like “Q.U.E.E.N.” and “Ghetto Woman” are transformed as she reveals a hidden talent for rhyming.

The radio station skits sprinkled throughout, however, are an unnecessary addition. The momentum is stalled somewhat while robots and love are debated at a radio station. There’s little humor, and the concepts don’t translate well.

“Sally Ride” and “What an Experience” close the record out with inventive takes on a rock-infused ballad and a poppy beach tune, respectively.

With only a few missteps in execution and concept, The Electric Lady is an eccentric mash-up of many musical styles. The end result is a satisfying finished project that undoubtedly solidifies Monáe as one of the new queens of R&B.

Mac Gushanas