Diversions

Music Review: The Rubens

The Rubens
The Rubens
Pop rock
???

Heavily influenced by the Black Keys, The Rubens’ debut album teems with scratchy vocals, loud guitars and heartache, all carefully placed amidst a bluesy-rock vibe that underscores each track.

The Australian foursome sandwiches a sometimes mediocre collection of songs between two massive standouts, beginning with “The Best We Got” and ending with “Paddy.” Don’t let the first few bars of the opening track fool you; the melancholy tone continues but is subsequently accompanied by a multi-layered soulful explosion of sound.

Before sinking into a bit of a lull in the middle, “My Gun” and “Lay It Down” build up an enjoyable but fleeting momentum that falters slightly until the album begins to wind down.

On both tracks, especially “Lay It Down,” it’s hard to tell whether or not Dan Auerbach isn’t contributing some of the vocals. Emotionally-drenched guitar riffs introduce the track, giving it a gritty, pure feel. It’s almost too easy to imagine the song being directly cut from a live, stripped down take.

Though familiar, “My Gun” also has an edge with the band’s inclusion of a ringing electric piano and a steady rhythm that bolsters each verse. Again, The Black Keys influence is obvious, but adds to the song’s appeal rather than detracting from it.

On “Paddy,” the only track that can truly be dubbed a ballad, lead singer Sam Margin softly growls the chorus and pairs it beautifully with a smooth vocal and clean guitar solo. Why the band left this gem until the very end is unclear.

Although lacking in originality at times, the album leaves listeners feeling happily heartbroken — which, unlike the sound, isn’t so familiar.

Kelly Cook