Diversions

Movie Review: Captain Philips

Captain Phillips
????

“Captain Phillips” is a fast-paced, high-tension thriller made unforgettable by incredible performances from Tom Hanks and newcomer Barkhad Abdi.

The film begins by introducing Captain Richard Phillips as an average guy. He has a wife and two kids. He could be anyone. These opening scenes might be important for a proper emotional investment later, but they’re undeniably cheesy. Luckily, the introduction doesn’t last long.

As soon as “Captain Phillips” hits the ocean, it picks up and never slows back down.

When armed Somali pirates board Phillip’s American container ship, the captain is forced to come face-to-face with the invaders. He sends his crew into hiding and tries to keep the increasingly tense situation under control.

Emotionally, “Captain Phillips” is exhausting. Viewers are asked to sympathize with both Phillips and his crew and, at times, with the pirates who threaten them. By not allowing the pirates to become stereotypes, director Paul Greengrass makes a strong statement.

These are all men, just trying to survive. The crew is trying to survive the hijacking. The pirates are trying to survive the impoverished conditions they were born into.

Barkhad Abdi plays Muse, the unspoken leader of the pirates, with a strong sense of heart and depth. He is clearly in over his head. Hints of humanity throughout the film keep the pirates from slipping into brutal-villain territory.

There’s a sense of respect between Phillips and Muse that makes their scenes together the strongest of the film. Muse calls Phillips “Irish,” and often seems to be pleading with him instead of ordering him. It doesn’t feel like this man really wants to hurt anyone.

Tom Hanks does some of his best work in years as the titular character. Armed with a strong Boston accent, Tom Hanks completely becomes Phillips.

“Captain Phillips” is based on a true story, but Greengrass directs the film so sharply that knowing the conclusion doesn’t dull the experience at all.

Greengrass has perfected the art of realistic action. The fluid camera work and tight close-ups make much of the film feel like a documentary.

The film allows little time to pause for a breath. It’s nonstop action and stress until suddenly it’s not. It runs just a little longer than it should, with a few scenes growing tedious, but overall “Captain Phillips” is riveting until the very end. Smart directing and sharp performances give this biopic the emotional impact that it needs to fully deliver. And deliver it does.

Schyler Martin