Diversions

Spice up your October with some "pumpkinsanity"

<p>Enjoy the taste of autumn with Weaver Street Market&#8217;s pumpkin scones.</p>
Buy Photos

Enjoy the taste of autumn with Weaver Street Market’s pumpkin scones.

Chilly, misty and beautiful fall weather has arrived. With autumn in the air, what could be better than enjoying that wonderful food of the season, the pumpkin? Let me answer you: nothing.

Why do we love pumpkin so? I can’t begin to describe the ways. But I will say that when I eat pumpkin anything I feel like fall, and I want more.

With that in mind, here is a list of the places around Chapel Hill where I recommend getting your pumpkin fix (Starbucks isn’t on here, sorry). Enjoy and live up the season, folks.

Weaver Street Market – Pumpkin Scones

Perhaps if I really had a sweet tooth, I would be more tempted by Weaver Street Market’s pumpkin cupcakes and rolls. But the pumpkin scones, those perfect, not-too-sweet coffee companions with pumpkin seeds and currants, are what really steal the show for me. Feel free to try the others too, though.

Sugarland – Pumpkin Pie Latté

Sugarland is known for its cupcakes and gelato, but more people should be aware of its freaking awesome mochas and coffees. The pumpkin pie latte is like a dessert in itself — the mix that the servers add to the milk almost looks like uncooked pumpkin pie batter, and I’m unendingly grateful for it, because that is exactly what it tastes like. And yes, it beats the living daylights out of the MegaBucks equivalent.

Trader Joe’s – Pumpkin Bread and Muffin Mix

This pumpkin bread, which only requires the limited involvement of combining the mix with a few other ingredients and popping it in the oven, is as a simple a way of getting your fix as there can be. And if you really want to go all out, add a few walnuts and cranberries or chocolate chips to the mix to get the most out of your product.

Elmo’s Diner – Pumpkin Pie Shake

It seems like a poor idea to consume a frozen treat during the brisk fall weather, but after the first few sips of this pumpkin delight, I seriously doubt you’ll entertain that idea much longer. Of course, if it still doesn’t gel with you, you can always resort to Elmo’s pumpkin pie or delicious pumpkin-apple bread.

Bo McMillan