Diversions

Dive Presents New Media: Nov. 4

Grizzly Bear: “Listen and Wait”

“Listen and Wait” is another outtake from Grizzly Bear’s successful Shields, and this track would have fit right in with its haunting harmonizing and gloomy atmosphere. Daniel Rossen takes lead vocals here in a rather brief three minutes. Any fan of Grizzly Bear will surely enjoy “Listen and Wait” and want to check out its new releases later this month.

Warpaint: “Love Is To Die”

It has almost been four years since Los Angeles band Warpaint released its last album, but new single “Love Is To Die” shows its vast improvements in the dark art rock genre. With particularly somber lyrics, Warpaint takes pieces from bands like The xx and Bloc Party for a sinister and pulsing track. Don’t be surprised to see this band take off in the new year with more songs like “Love Is To Die” on the way.

Flume, Ghostface Killah & Autre Ne Veut: “Space Cadet”

Gangster rapper Ghostface Killah, R&B singer Autre Ne Veut and electronic producer DJ Flume might seem like a bizarre combination, but it actually works on “Space Cadet.” Autre Ne Veut takes the chorus and excels with a slightly distorted voice over continual computerized noises. Then, Ghostface Killah arrives with his only verse that takes the track to the next level. The instrumentation fades away from the explosive chorus, leaving Ghostface to blast through lines about Quentin Tarantino and his creative process.

M.I.A.: Matangi album stream

The controversial and innovative M.I.A. is now streaming Matangi, one of the most anticipated albums of the year. After just a couple of listens, it’s clear that she’s returned better than ever with pounding dance tracks like “Bad Girls” and trippy folk songs like “Come Walk with Me.” The entire stream can be found on YouTube, in advance of its November 5 release date.

MGMT: “Alien Days” video

Still buzzing from the mixed release of its self-titled album, MGMT has released a video for “Alien Days,” one of the better, psychedelic tracks this band has done. The video, too, is one its weirdest yet, featuring the band as pilgrims who appear to make sacrifices to strange human-like aliens. While it doesn’t make much sense, “Alien Days” is weirdly catchy, and the video goes right along with this vibe.

The Debauchees: “Rancid Dancin’”

In advance of its debut album, The Debauchees have released a funky and exciting new track that bodes well for its future. Reminiscent of bands like The Fratellis albeit with an older flair and a female vocalist, “Rancid Dancin’” shows that this band can craft some wonderfully catchy songs. The throbbing chorus with pleading vocals, too, is different and fantastic.