Diversions

Movie Review: Thor: The Dark World

Thor: The Dark World
????

In Marvel Studios’ second film since its game-changing blockbuster “The Avengers,” “Thor: The Dark World” follows Thor (Chris Hemsworth), god of thunder, as he faces off against Malekith the Accursed, leader of the Dark Elves. “Thor 2” ranks high among Marvel movies and surpasses its predecessor, “Thor.”

But what viewers really want to see is the ultimate team-up of Thor and his scorned but likeable brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston), who spends the first part of the movie locked up in a cell because Loki got power-hungry and tried to rule the world in “The Avengers.” The chemistry between the sly Loki and powerful Thor is what is to be expected from quarreling brothers, a mix of distrust and lingering sentiment.

Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), a scientist and Thor’s love interest, accidentally releases the Aether, a destructive force, and implants the infection into herself. Thor, realizing Malekith’s plan is to steal the Aether to turn the entire universe into dark matter, concocts a plan to trick Malekith into sucking the Aether out of Jane so he can then destroy it. But Thor’s on a timeline as Malekith plans to use the Aether during the Convergence, when all Nine Realms align and portals that link the realms randomly appear. Of course things don’t go according to plan and an epic battle ensues in Greenwich.

Though all actors give convincing performances, the real star is Hiddleston. He commands every scene with his mischievous smile and comedic timing. The god of lies and mischief has a few tricks up his sleeve, and the audience finds itself cheering for the misunderstood prince more and more.

Aesthetically, the scenes are gorgeous. The gray skies of London are a nice contrast to the grandeur of Asgard and the movie shows off the best attractions in England including Stonehenge.

Overall, the film delivers as a perfect amalgamation of science fiction and fantasy. The action thrills, Loki shines and there are several surprises that will excite all types of fans.

Amanda Hayes