Diversions

Music Review: Cian Nugent

Cian Nugent & The Cosmos
Born With The Caul
????1/2
Psych-folk

Irish guitarist Cian Nugent with backing band The Cosmos opens the gates in its latest release Born With the Caul to an orchestrated adventure that crosses progressive rock and traditional folk.

Born With the Caul is an all-or-nothing invitation, and once you’re in it, you aren’t going anywhere. Nugent opens with “Grass Above My Head,” a modest six-and-a-half minute delight of a serene guitar accompanied by light strings before the folksy song speeds up and calls to horns for a jazz break.

Cian Nugent & The Cosmos let an eerie fog drift in with the proceeding “Double Horse.” While a guitar spiritually glides through ambient drums, listeners are convinced to reflect through a sonic mystery. “Double Horse” is an introspective and existential look into a darker and captivating world many musicians not dare enter.

The momentum never fades in this three-song epic. Nugent and band keep it rolling into “Houses of Parliament.” Once again Nugent showcases his guitar but transitions into a piercing performance cutting through The Cosmos’ cathartic storm as the album’s climax builds.

The song again builds again in the last 12 minutes, switching from grandiose and powerful blasts of prog-rock energy to groovy jams to ease listeners down.

Once the 45 minutes is up, listeners may feel disoriented after the experimental ride but will be rejuvenated from the awakening experience.

Charlie Shelton