Diversions

Movie Review: Nebraska

Nebraska
????

“Nebraska” is a melancholic portrait of a family and its aging, stubborn patriarch on a journey of discovery. Despite the dull black and white cinematography, “Nebraska” is anything but simple. The vibrancy of the film’s characters brings out the color in Alexander Payne’s latest film.

This road trip drama follows Woody Grant (Bruce Dern), the relentless, rugged father who’s convinced he’s won a $1 million sweepstakes and must go to Nebraska to retrieve his prize. His son, David (Will Forte), warily decides to drive his hoodwinked father across the desolate American Midwest.

On the way, Woody and David make a pit stop at Woody’s old stomping grounds, where David learns the complexities behind his frazzled and brash father.

Dern, who has a knack for playing supporting roles, takes the reigns in this family saga. With his age comes the confused and disgruntled nature, but Woody’s sense of humor packs a punch. His performance is unrefined yet restrained.

The rest of the Grant family only adds to “Nebraska’s” charm. June Squibb, who plays the brutally honest mother, chews up every scene she’s in with her perfect comedic timing. “Saturday Night Live” alum Forte takes a nice dramatic turn as the sensitive, ordinary son.

“Nebraska” is candid and moody, much like the film’s main characters. The notion to be “somebody” follows them all, even in age. “Nebraska” reaffirms that although they’ve been around the block, old people still have some living left to do.

— Avery Thompson