Diversions

Music Review: Lilac Shadows

Lilac Shadows
No Dark/No Light
????
Pop rock

The latest release from the electronic-tinged rock outfit Lilac Shadows improves upon its debut EP with stronger melodies and varied experimentation. No Dark/No Light is a solid, psychedelic next step for the band.

The magical “Occidental Oceans” opens the album with a haunting, ethereal quality, anchored by background harmonizing and melodic keys.

The track segues into the quicker-paced “Tunnels.” Clearly inspired by luminaries like The Strokes, “Tunnels” is rocking with a bizarre guitar solo and toned-down electronics.

No Dark/No Light settles into a progressive, psych-influenced groove. Some are better than others — songs like “Tsunami” start strong, then meander for too long. “Fever Pitch,” however, incorporates heftier percussion, resulting in a rousing track.

When Lilac Shadows goes beyond its influences, it gets tracks like “Honeycombs (Stay Asleep)”: melancholic with fuzzy instrumentation.

The band is at its best when it’s attempting to innovate electronically. The fantastic closer “Drone” drags on until it explodes with harmonious strings and heavy guitars halfway through. Added reverb vocal effects make for a stirring finish to the album in this seven-minute epic.

No Dark/No Light is a confident and assured release from a band that increasingly shows its ability to churn out diverse pop rock.

— Mac Gushanas