Diversions

Column: A marriage built on an online House of Cards

Tomorrow marks the much-anticipated return of the Netflix original series “House of Cards.” Save the saccharine kisses in the rain or “I got off the plane”s — such gestures are tiresome compared to what the characters of “House of Cards” has to offer.

Without a doubt, the show boasts the most compelling partnership on television: Claire and Frank Underwood.

Instances of infidelity and manipulation bar them from becoming the idyllic picture-perfect couple, but that’s boring. You want to be Frank and/or Claire as much as you want to stay far, far out of their way.

In their professional lives, both Claire and Frank are ruthless. Frank cuts and weasels his way all the way to the vice-presidency in season one of “House of Cards,” while Claire runs her charity with an iron grip.

They’re sharp and calculating, but are often more tender with each other in peculiar ways — like when Claire buys a rowing machine for a petulant Frank because she’s worried about his heart.
When viewers see the pair, there are few if any typical affectionate exchanges. They interact much like business partners, and yet there’s a consistent undercurrent of intimacy.

Kevin Spacey’s Frank Underwood is as slick and cold as an ice luge. He has an affair with the young tenacious journalist Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara), but it’s not a secret. Claire knows what’s up, and isn’t afraid to let Zoe know who’s boss.

One episode late in season one also hinted that Frank had a male lover in the past, though it’s not clear where or how Claire may come into play there.

Though Spacey is the star of the show, Robin Wright as Claire steals the spotlight whenever she’s near it. She’s not just your standard Strong Woman type: she’s independent and interesting, but difficult. She’s not exactly a nice person.

And yet, it’s difficult not to feel bad for her as she tries to hide her impending menopause from her husband.

Netflix has stayed tight-lipped about what’s to come in the new season. Two trailers do little in the way of offering any substantial answers as to what this season will bring.

As Frank rises to power (and presumably continues his treacherous ways), Claire will be right at his side doing some climbing on her own.

It’s a stretch to say that the Underwoods’ relationship is refreshing because it seems realistic — a relationship like theirs in reality would more likely be horrifying. It seems almost as far-fetched as the lovey-dovey trope, but is infinitely more intoxicating.

As season one came to a close, the couple faced a myriad of issues that season two needs to address.

Will children be in the picture for the Underwoods? How will Claire handle the looming lawsuit from a former employee? Will Zoe try to wreck the Underwoods’ marriage? How will Frank and Claire handle life in the vice-presidency?

There’s a lot on the line for Claire and Frank as this next season kicks off. Will their relationship splinter under the many levels of deception, or will they find that they need each other more than either?

The “House of Cards” writers will almost certainly handle these situations with a fantastic grace and deftness. It’ll be quite a ride to see if the Underwoods come tumbling down.

diversions@dailytarheel.com